Windows XP keyboard tricks to impress – Help, my screen is upside down!

Here are some Windows keyboard tricks you can use to impress your friends! These are nothing but less known features of the Windows XP operating system. To revert back the screen to previous state, repeat the key combination again.

Trick 1 (High Contrast) – Hold Shift, Alt and Print Screen keys together. Click on “OK” when a message appears (this enables high contrast on Windows system). The screen should change to black!

Trick 2 (Magnifier) – Hold Windows key (logo key) and R key together. Type magnify in the run box and then press Enter. This enables magnifier tool and anything near the mouse trail will now appear magnified on top!

Trick 3 (Invert Windows screen) – This is one of the scariest tricks which turns Windows upside down. You can press Ctrl, Alt and then any of the four arrow keys (Ctrl-Alt-Down will rotate screen by 180 degrees)! I have noticed that this doesn’t work on certain Windows XP machines (It is dependent on video driver).

You can check out these and many more accessibility tutorials here.

This entry was posted in Tech Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Windows XP keyboard tricks to impress – Help, my screen is upside down!

1. Sanjay says:

hey,

accidentally i pressed alt+Ctrl+right arrow….same thing hapemend then i realised the thisng u have reakised….good thign rite…..byte trake care

2. I now have my screen right side up thanks to Sanjay, now how do I minimize my screen? I tried the minus button at the top of the screen, butbut that just takes me out of this program altogether! Help!!!

3. Peta says:

Ok.. so i turned on my PC this morning to find my screen 180 degress rotated… having experienced this before I knew it was easy enough to find the ctrl + alt + arrow command.. problem is.. I’ve now been trying that for almost an hour.. and it will turn every which way except up!!! Screen Left / Screen Right / Screen Down.. No UP!!

Not sure how long I can continue working upside-down and backwards.. please help!!

4. bhatura says:

Glad to find here the info on inverting/re-inverting the screen.
    Few minutes ago I just inadvertently inverted my screen while pressing some ALT+control keys. It was scary but I knew I must have pressed some wrong keys. I didn’t know how to undo it and for that I would have to search with google but I was not even able to control the mouse or read on an upside down screen. Finally I inverted my LCD panel to make display double inverted and googled and found this info to invert it back (alt+Ctrl+arrow). Thanks.

5. Paatrick says:

Trick 3 (Invert Windows screen) РThis is one of the scariest tricks which turns Windows upside down. You can press Ctrl, Alt and then any of the four arrow keys (Ctrl-Alt-Down will rotate screen by 180 degrees)! I have noticed that this doesn’t work on certain Windows XP machines (It is dependent on video driver).

Which other way can you do it? Which is the Video Driver needed? Cannot invert it and must hang up the screen up side down…….

6. Donna says:

I am grateful for this site. Things like this normally happen to me just minutes or hours before I have a paper or project due. This time, (probably because I didn’t panic) I was able to calmly google it, find this site and remedy the problem. Thanks. Peace.

7. Ravindra Kohli says:

if youwant to see properties of any file just press Alt + Enter you will get it.

8. Fred B says:

How can I assign different characters to certain keys? on my old XP laptop I set the CapsLk key so that it had to be pressed for 3 seconds before it would lock, (prevent accidentally typing all caps) and also was able to set certain keys to be degrees, plus/minus etc…

9. Hello all,
    what a relief. We were here in the foothills of Himalayas. catering our Finsys ERP clients in Baddi(Dist Solan, Himachal Pradesh). suddenly, this funny 90 degree rotation happened. ( that was 7 pm last night.). Got mixed up. …… Then I told to myself. when in problem, close your eyes for 5 seconds, take a deep breath, restart the effort after a break.
    Today morning 6.15 am, in my hotel room, managed to turn my laptop and my neck by 90degree, then then thanks to google and this webstuffscan site, i had this answer. Thanks to all ,

This is Namita, and Pooja from Finsys ERP Implementation team, currently in baddi, HP, India